GARISSA—Jobs and other opportunities willnow be given to locals in Fafi following complaints by the Garissa Women Representative, Anab Gure.
Anab stated that the World Bank agreed to her demands; which included other demands such as gender inclusivity and recognizing her office as stakeholder.
The women rep complained last week to the World Bank, saying her office was not enjoined in the activities of the Bank project in Fafi Constituency, adding that the locals were overstepped in the recruitment opportunities.
“This project is supposed to benefit the locals of Fafi and not people from other parts,” Anab said.
Kenya Development Response to Displacement Impact Project (KDRDIP) is a find by the World Bank that will support mitigation of negative impacts associated with long-term presence of refugees in a fragile environment.
In Garissa, the funds covers Lagdera, Daadab and Fafi Constituencies.
The Garissa legislator complained that the funds were being channeled through a local NGO—FaIDA—was not absorbing local youths for the jobs.
“…the World Bank will channel the funds directly to the communities and NOT through FaIDA. FaIDA will only receive 5% of the funds for facilitation and the other 95% will go directly to the host community for implementation of projects,” Anab said in press release.